GRIEVANCE HANDLING: The ATU represents its bargaining unit employees in disputes with their employers in matters of discipline or unfair treatment on the job.
TRAINING AND EDUCATION: The ATU is at the forefront of the Labor Movement in terms of training and education in both the U.S. and Canada. Innovative education programs are regularly offered on a wide variety of issues including rider coalition building, community and political action, arbitration techniques, collective bargaining, local union financial administration, grievance administration, leadership training for officers, organizing, health and safety, and women’s issues – as well as legislative and political programs.
GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS: The ATU International maintains a full-time legislative program, which, in conjunction with local unions and members, lobbies Congress and state legislatures to promote the interests of our members.
ATU-COPE: The ATU conducts yearly nationwide fundraising to support its ATU Committee on Political Education, which makes contributions on a bi-partisan basis to the campaigns of local and national candidates for public office in the U.S. who are supportive of our values on labor and transportation issues.
FUNERAL BENEFITS: The ATU maintains a historic funeral benefit program to help with funeral expenses.
ATU SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM: The ATU offers an annual scholarship competition to union members and their dependents in order to further the education of those who have an active awareness of union issues.
Transit operators have a right to:
- Rapid access to restrooms when needed, on all routes and all shifts
- Safe access to clean, fully equipped facilities along routes and at end of routes with locations identified and updated
- Adequate time to access, use, and return from restrooms
- No retaliation, discipline, or threats for going to the restroom
- Restroom use time built into scheduling
- Clear policies on restroom access along the route, including how to notify dispatch, safe methods for leaving and securing the bus, communicating with passengers and discharging passengers.